Western Hunt Lea Character Area (view detailed map) is a residential suburban Character Area with most of its current townscape dating from the late Inter-War Period (1919-1945) and Post-War Period with large areas of largely separate residential streets and cul-de-sacs. There was early ribbon development on former enclosed fields along Boultham Park Road with most housing in later large developments leading off Boultham Park Road with a geometric street pattern and large numbers of cul-de-sacs. Boultham Park Road and Hall Drive were part of a private drive from High Street to Boultham Hall in the 19th century; some of the trees along these roads may be survivors from this period.
The first housing developments in the Character Area were ribbon developments along Boultham Park Road which took place mainly in the early Inter-War Period (1919-1945) on enclosed fields that had been part of the Boultham Hall Estate. The earliest houses were built along Boultham Park Road in the 1920s following the reconstruction of the road in 1923, and Lincoln Avenue, the eastern part of which was laid out between 1913 and 1919. After 1930, Lincoln Avenue was extended westwards. The construction of Mayfair Avenue was completed in 1928 and most of the present houses on Mayfair Avenue were built in the mid 1930s. The road bridges carrying Hall Drive and Boultham Park Road over Catchwater Drain were completed by around 1930.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
||Inter-war (1920 to 1945 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: