West Parade Character Area (view detailed map) is a coherent residential area on the west side of Lincoln which remains almost entirely Late Victorian/Edwardian in character. The area borders open space within West Common, and houses still form part of the Lincoln’s western fringe that has defined the transition between the city and its rural hinterland since the late 19th century.
It is probable that from as early as the Roman Military Era land in the Character Area was part of the early city’s ‘territorium’, a swathe of land surrounding major Roman fortresses in which agricultural production and services were dedicated to the service of the legion. The area may have been a focus for small-scale open quarrying, probably in the form of localised areas of ‘digging’ especially around any limestone, ironstone, gravel and clay outcrops that occur along the escarpment slope.
Lying to the west of the Roman fortification, land in the Character Area probably remained undeveloped throughout the Early Medieval Era, when Lincoln experienced a period of economic decline relative to the Roman eras. It is likely that land continued to be used for the extraction of materials as well as for agriculture. Towards the end of the Early Medieval Era, or during the High Medieval Era, land in the area formed a part of West Common, an area of land farmed and used for grazing by inhabitants of Lincoln who possessed common rights to make use of the open land.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
Select a video below or download the related MP3
|Character Area Type:
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: