Tritton Road Industrial Character Area (view detailed map) is a large edge of city centre mixed-use area that extends either side of Tritton Road, one of the main arterial roads into and out of the city. The scale and form of buildings and setting within large areas of parking are typical features of an out-of-town retail centre but its location is actually very close to the city centre, within walking distance of St. Mark’s retail area in the city centre. Due to the strong linear boundaries of the river and railway to the east and west, access into and out of the area is confined to Tritton Road itself, as well as Dixon Street and Firth Road which bridge the river.
Since the Early 19th century the Character Area has undergone, and continues to undergo, several changes which reflect Lincoln’s industrial, commercial and residential growth. The area’s former rural and wetland character was initially superseded by 19th century industrial growth, which itself is becoming increasingly replaced with commercial, and more recently residential, developments. Little of the area’s rural character survives, and the majority of 19th century industry has been overwritten by modern commercial and residential development. Nevertheless, the townscape retains many elements of its former rural and industrial uses, which contribute to a complex and evolving townscape.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: