Tower Estate Character Area (view detailed map) lies on the upper slopes of the north escarpment and consists of two small suburban public housing estates, one dating to 1939, and one dating to the Post-War Period [1946-1966 AD]. The form and style of properties is largely coherent throughout the Character Area, but despite being developed in the Post-War Period, houses have many features reminiscent of housing built in Inter-War Period. Properties remain largely in their original form, surviving as an example of residential expansion in Lincoln in the aftermath of the Second World War.
The development of the estate has overwritten much of the former landscape, although some elements of the area’s past use still influence the current townscape. These influences include the orientation of former field boundaries, the medieval route of Greetwell Road, evidence for former quarrying works, and in particular traces and influences of the layout of an informal garden, which surrounded a Late Victorian/Edwardian house in the north east of the Character Area.
From as early as the Roman Colonia Era [90-410 AD], if not before, the north escarpment has been an important area for the extraction of natural materials including clay, building stone and Northamptonshire Ironstone. Quarrying of materials continued into the Late Victorian/Edwardian Period [1869-1919 AD] in the form of ironstone pits. Numbers 50-56 Roman Pavement stand on the former location of one of the pits, and the rear boundaries of numbers 40-60 follow the former boundary line of an enclosure around one of the quarry sites. Evidence for former extraction of raw materials in the area is also evident in the subsidence of some houses in the south of the area.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: