The Lawn Character Area (view detailed map) is situated on the north escarpment, north of Carline Road and extending east and west off Union Road. To the west of Union Road is The Lawn itself, a collection of former asylum buildings with a variety of modern uses set in landscaped gardens and with associated car parking. To the east is a row of terraced houses that at one time may have been used as a half way house for the staged release of patients from the asylum. The large-scale two-to-three storey buildings in The Lawn complex, and the Castle wall, contrast with the small two-storey terraces on Union Road.
From the corner of Union Road and Carline Road, there are wide views out over the lower city and on to the south escarpment. From the eastern side of The Lawn and from the rear of the terraced properties along Union Road there are views towards the western wall of the Castle and the Water Tower.
The Lawn Character Area is located on top of the limestone ridge overlooking the Witham Valley. The summit of the northern scarp has had a defensive role since the founding of Lincoln during the Roman Military Era [60-90 AD], when a Roman legionary fortress was constructed. The line of the former west wall of the upper Roman City, which was consolidated in stone during the Roman Colonia Era [90-410 AD], survives in the alignment of the current west wall of Lincoln Castle (c.1068) to the east of the Character Area. To the west of the ramparts, the course of Union Road approximately marks the extent of defensive ring ditches associated with the medieval castle, part of which remain preserved in the sunken rear gardens of 12-32 Union Road.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Early Industrial (1750 to 1845 AD)
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: