Swanpool and Skewbridge Character Area (view detailed map) is situated on the western side of the city and is predominantly an area of flat, low-lying drained flood plain south of the River Witham. The area is largely in agricultural use and as a result the landscape is characterised by a rectilinear pattern of fields defined by shallow open wet drainage dykes and hedges.
The area is predominantly used for arable or cattle-grazed pasture. The rectilinear pattern of fields and drains are often bordered by well-established and overgrown hedgerows that include both small trees and shrubs, typical of the quick set hedges used during late 18th and early 19th century enclosure. The farmland areas include arable fields, damp cattle-grazed pasture and species-diverse old hedges, many of which are overgrown. There are also several small areas of woodland, grazed scrubland, playing fields and linear stretches of wild flowers along farm tracks and footpaths. The former Skellingthorpe duck decoy lies within a large wooded area within the northwest part of the Character Area which has preserved the earthworks of the decoy. The former Skewbridge landfill tip in the northeast of the area is now covered by rough grassland and widespread scrub, and grazed by horses.
The Character Area forms part of the rural foreground to historic views of the Cathedral and north escarpment from the south and west. As such, the views form part of Lincoln’s rural hinterland both when approaching Lincoln from the southwest and when looking out from elevated parts of the city (e.g. north escarpment). The Character Area is also linked with the village of Skellingthorpe to the west and once formed part of its open fields. The Character Area is crossed by the A46 Lincoln western bypass which forms a near impermeable boundary through the area.
Swanpool and Skewbridge is a transitional area between the city and its rural hinterland. This close connection of countryside and city is an important characteristic of Lincoln, contributing to the city’s rural setting and maintaining a relationship between the market centre and its rural hinterland that has existed for almost two millennia. Swanpool and Skewbridge and the undeveloped areas along the River Witham to the east of the city, together contribute to the ‘hour-glass’ shape of the built up area of the city.
|Character Area Type:
||Early Industrial (1750 to 1845 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: