St. Rumbold's Character Area (view detailed map) has an incoherent urban townscape, despite being close to the city centre, including large buildings of differing style and materials, smaller residential and commercial buildings, broken building lines with frequent gaps and many large open areas (e.g. surface car-parks).
The buildings are from different periods, with some from the Georgian and Victorian period, including earlier inns along Broadgate, and many larger buildings from the 1960s and 1970s, including Waterside House .
Other earlier townscape elements which still influence the current townscape include the former Roman and medieval city defences, the medieval and post-medieval street pattern (including the lines of Friars Lane and Rosemary Lane) and pre-1842 field boundaries such as the boundary line of St. Swithins churchyard.
St. Rumbold’s has a long and complex history as part of the city of Lincoln. The River Witham marks the southern boundary of the area. It may have been canalised as early as Roman times to allow vessels from Lincoln a means to reach sea routes, as well as acting as an early focus for trading activity. Monks Road follows the line of the east-west road from the medieval Clasketgate gate, which itself followed in part the likely line of the Roman road issuing from a gate in the lower defences. Its name probably derives from Monks Abbey, the remains of which lie to the east of the area.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: