St. Peter’s Avenue Character Area (view detailed map) is a residential area located on low-lying land at the base of the Witham valley adjacent to the Witham itself. The area consists of two public housing developments dating to the Inter-war and Post-war periods, each of which has a consistent and identifiable townscape character.
Housing was developed on parkland belonging to Boultham Hall Estate, the remainder of which survives to the north of the Character Area. The former estate and subsequent housing development has overwritten the former rural character of the area, although some parts of the townscape still follow the alignment of former field boundaries. Mature trees, possibly once part of the designed landscape of the estate, survive in the area.
The land was probably enclosed during, or slightly before, the Early Industrial period [1750-1845 AD] when areas of more marginal land around the country, such as heaths and moors, came under cultivation during the Agricultural Revolution with the introduction of the four-course rotation. The rear plot boundaries of Numbers 2 to 52 St. Peter’s Avenue as well as the short southern boundary of the Character Area follow the line of former field boundaries which are possibly associated with the 18/19th century enclosure of land, or may possible be associated with fields around the village of Bracebridge. However, during the Post-railway Expansion Period land within the Character Area, as well as land to the north, was landscaped as part of parkland surrounding Hartsholme Hall.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
||Inter-war (1920 to 1945 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: