St. Peter at Gowt’s Character Area (view detailed map) (is a low-lying flat area of land at the base of the ‘Witham Gap’. The Character Area is strongly influenced by High Street, which follows the alignment of a former Roman military road, Ermine Street. The character and function of buildings vary considerably throughout the Character Area, illustrating the successive re-development of the townscape and the evolution of High Street as the dominant commercial and transport route in the south of Lincoln, particularly during the High Medieval and Late Victorian/Edwardian periods.
Space to the rear of buildings in the Character Area mainly consists of single-storey outbuildings and small yards. Many of the buildings are unoccupied and several are derelict. Building plots in this area are frequently not clearly defined and amalgamated. Much of this rear space on the east side of the Character Area is used for open-air car parking.
The stretch of High Street running south from the railway crossing to St. Peter at Gowt’s Church shows great diversity and depth of historic character. The varied townscape, including changeable architectural styles and different functions of buildings within the Character Area, reflects the ebb and flow of Lincoln’s development from the Roman era to the modern day.
The Character Area has an important commercial function, both for Lincoln as a whole, and as a more local amenity for residents either side of High Street. The Character Area also contains a large number of independent businesses, and as a result, is an important area for Lincoln’s local economy.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
||Early Modern (1350 to 1750 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: