St. Hugh’s Character Area (view detailed map) is bounded by Monks Road to the north, Broadgate to the west and Rosemary Lane to the east. The southern boundary is formed by Unity Square, the top of the car park on Friars Lane, the rear of the plots at 9-25 Rosemary Lane and the rear and side of the former Wesleyan School on Rosemary Lane. The area includes Friars Lane, Rosemary Lane, Spa Buildings, the east side of Broadgate, north side of Unity Square and south side of Monks Road.
The streets are mainly overlooked by regularly spaced doors and windows although there are some areas where car-parks face directly onto the streets. Monks Road and Broadgate carry a heavy volume of vehicular and pedestrian traffic and contain most of the commercial activity whilst the remainder of the area has a quieter urban character.
St. Hugh’s has an urban residential, commercial and civic townscape with a largely medieval street pattern, varied plot size, and mainly Victorian buildings. Many earlier townscape elements survive including the routes of Roman and medieval streets (including parts of Monks Road that lie on the alignment of a Roman road and medieval streets such as Friars Lane), the Roman and medieval city defences which can still be seen in the line of Broadgate (which was built on a filled-in defensive ditch), pre-1842 field boundaries that have influenced the lines of streets and property boundaries, and Victorian civic buildings. Its long history of development has provided a relatively wide variety of building styles, sizes and forms within a small area.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
||High Medieval (850 to 1350 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: