St. Giles Character Area (view detailed map) is a large public residential housing estate located in the north west of the city between the Nettleham and Wragby main roads. Its design and construction during the Inter-War Period was strongly influenced by the ‘Garden Suburb movement’, and was instigated in response to the Addison Act of 1919 and the Tudor Walters report. Many streets in the area are suburban in character, with regular mature trees, grass verges along and front and rear gardens along streets. Properties have a distinctive and mostly consistent architectural style, surviving as an example of residential expansion of Lincoln during the Inter-War Period.
Several historic features, many associated with the area’s rural past remain observable in the townscape. Both the Nettleham and Wragby roads may have their origins in the Roman Military Era. The northern boundary of the Character Area follows the former city boundary, originally marked by a ditch and bank known as Nettleham Mere. Field boundaries associated with the area’s enclosure by Act of Parliament in the Early Industrial Period are retained in the orientation of many streets and houses in the area. The estate itself was constructed in a number of phases the first of which, in the south of the area, was built by the by the Ministry of Munitions c.1920.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Inter-war (1920 to 1945 AD)
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: