St. George’s Character Area (view detailed map) is a mainly residential area with some light industrial/commercial buildings that extends either side of Long Leys Road on the western side of the city. It is situated on the lower slope of the north escarpment and as a result has a gentle incline towards the east, which has strongly influenced views into and out of the area.
There are a number of open space and natural elements within the Character Area including deep grass verges, some with mature tree planting. The main open space resource in the Character Area is private gardens. The close proximity of the Character Area to West Common also helps to make it a very green area. Several compacted earth footpaths have been laid out around the perimeter of different build units. These now have quite overgrown vegetation, contributing to the ‘rural’ character of the area.
The uses here have arisen because of its location on the edge of the city. Although separated from the built-up area of the city by open space including allotments, fields, parkland and common land, it is still close in terms of proximity. This urban fringe location, separated from the city and with large areas of land available was chosen for a hospital (for infectious diseases) and industries that required a large uptake of land.
Although these uses have been retained to some extent, the Character Area has been steadily expanding as a residential area since the 1960s, probably due to the good access to both the city and the bypass, and the rural views it has retained of open fields and common land.
To find out more, search the menu to the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: