St. Botolph’s Character Area (view detailed map) is located at the base of the River Witham valley and is dominated by High Street, a former Roman road and still the historic entranceway to the southern part of the city. The Character Area runs from the medieval watercourse of Sincil Dyke in the south to Ashton’s Court in the north, and is defined by the plots of properties fronting on to each side of High Street.
High Street is a busy dual carriageway carrying a high level of traffic, and is a well-used commercial centre for generally independently-run businesses. The function of properties varies along High Street resulting in a sense of activity throughout much of the day. Roads of mainly Late Victorian/Edwardian date frequently run off both sides of High Street, including many cul-de-sacs constrained by Sincil Dyke to the east or the River Witham to the west. Junctions between High Street and roads that bridge the watercourses are more prominent, and carry higher levels of traffic.
Many historical features remain visible in the current townscape including the alignment of High Street itself, which follows the approximate route of the ‘Fosse Way’, a Roman Military [60-90 AD] road. The course of medieval burgage plots is often preserved in the orientation of building plots and roads off High Street, and the boundaries of a former medieval market may be preserved in the orientation of building frontages and rear garden boundaries of terraces in the south of the Character Area.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: