St. Andrews Character Area (view detailed map) is a mainly residential suburb with a school and some shops along Boultham Park Road. Most of the current townscape dates from the Inter-War Period (1919-1945) with a few later houses.
There is more open space in the western part of the Character Area where the tight urban streets open out to large grassed areas although the surrounding large urban blocks limit movement. Although there are high volumes of vehicle and pedestrian traffic along Boultham Park Road the rest of the Character Area is quiet with little through traffic. There are good links to surrounding areas and the rest of the city to the north and south via Boultham Park Road; however, connectivity to the east and west is virtually non-existent due to impermeable boundaries formed by the school and housing development.
The majority of the current townscape of St. Andrews Character Area was completed by 1932. Bristol Drive, St. Andrews Drive and Brancaster Drive were all initially laid out around 1918 and extended sometime around the 1930s. Although Boultham Park Road was initially the Ellison family’s private tree-lined drive from High Street to their home at Boultham Hall it was reconstructed in 1923 and private houses and shops were built along it from around this date. Some of the trees can still be seen along Boultham Park Road.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Inter-war (1920 to 1945 AD)
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: