St. Aiden's Park

Overview

St. Aiden’s Park Housing Estate Character Area is a suburban residential area lying to the north of the centre of the settlement of North Hykeham and south of the City of Lincoln. It sits on an area of level land between the rear of properties on Newark Road and Station Road and the Pike Drain at the north of the area.
 
The area is mostly composed of residential housing although there are two civic buildings, a school and a council department, as well as a commercial yard. There is relatively good provision of open space with St. Aiden’s Park and orchard in the north of the area.
 
Residential development in the area began in the Post-war period [1946 – 1966 AD] with the majority of houses built in the Modern period [1967 – Current day] in the 1970s. The development has overwritten the majority of the earlier agricultural character of the area, although a few traces of the area’s past survive in the modern townscape.
 
Properties within the Character Area turn their backs on adjacent built up areas and also on the surrounding open space such as St. Aiden’s Park, showing a lack of engagement with these areas.
 
Views within the Character Area are minimal with the majority being short-ranging views along the network of streets. However, there are views of the park from some of the properties that surround it. Strong building lines and level land mean that there are few long-ranging views out of the Character Area.
Properties along St. Hilary’s Close, typical of most of the development within the Character Area

Key Statistics

Latitude/Longitude: (53.191468, -0.591734)
Character Area Type: Residential
Location: Outer suburbs
Predominant Period: Modern (1967 to Current day)
Secondary Period: Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
Average Building Type: Detached
Average Building Density: Medium