The townscape of Spa Street to Devon Street Character Area (view detailed map) is made up of a series of short, quiet residential cul-de-sacs of red brick Edwardian terraced housing leading off Monks Road. Some earlier townscape elements survive including the route of a medieval road followed by parts of Monks Road and earlier field boundaries that influence the size and shape of the terraced housing.
Most houses have two storeys and are single fronted (ie a door and one window to the side on the ground floor). Properties along Monks Road are larger than those in the rest of the area, typically having bay windows at ground floor level with painted wooden surrounds. Houses in the rest of the area are plainer, with detailing limited to moulded brickwork at eaves level and heavy stone lintels.
The current townscape dates mainly from the Edwardian period. Houses were constructed on newly laid out roads at the beginning of the twentieth century, beginning with the streets in the west of the area and rapidly moving east. Often the houses on a whole street were built at the same time by the same developer although, sometimes, smaller plots of around four houses were developed separately. The only non-residential developments in the wider neighbourhood were the Monks Road Methodist Church and schools, and the Co-operative shop, all on the busier Monks Road and which also date from the Edwardian period. The Methodist Church was extended to give a new front facing onto Monks Road in the 1960s. Most changes to the area from the mid to late 20th century onwards have been on a small scale and involved alterations to individual properties or changes in the type of shop occupying a premises.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: