The majority of South Lincoln Ribbon Development Character Area (view detailed map) is composed of residential development built for the middle classes during the Inter-War Period. Nonetheless, housing in the area illustrates nearly a full spectrum of the construction of housing along some of Lincoln’s major roads from the Late Victorian/Edwardian Period to the modern day.
The backbone of the Character Area is formed by the four main roads, which emanate from the village of Bracebridge in the south of Lincoln. The roads, which converge on the historic bridging point of the River Witham, have connected Lincoln with its hinterland since the Roman Military Era.
During the Late Victorian/Edwardian Period, ribbon development occurred along the radial roads, mostly in the form of large detached villas (e.g. Numbers 557/559 and 613 Newark Road). Towards the end of the Late Victorian/Edwardian Period, an increasing number of houses were constructed along the radial and connecting roads, including Numbers 73 to 83 Doddington Road and Numbers 132 to 144 Hykeham Road.
There are long linear views along the main roads in the area, many of which are characterised by large mature trees, giving a suburban feeling to many areas. Several properties along the east of Hykeham Road back onto open space along the River Witham, and consequently have wider rural views of the River Valley and escarpment to the east.
To find out more, search the menu to the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Inter-war (1920 to 1945 AD)
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: