South Escarpment Character Area lies on the south escarpment slope overlooking Lincoln to the north. The area slopes down toward the River Witham which flows west to east immediately north of this Character Area.
The area is mostly agricultural in use, although a substantial portion is taken up by Canwick Park Golf course. The area is bounded by several busy roads that are important as transport routes both into Lincoln from the south, and between Lincoln and its outlying towns and villages. Buildings are scarce within the Character Area and include a handful of commercial and residential properties dating from the Early Industrial Period [1750 – 1845 AD] through to the Modern Period [1967 – Present day]. There are a number of farmsteads dispersed throughout the area, although the majority of settlement is focussed along transport routes. The Character Area borders the northern and eastern fringes of Canwick village, forming part of its rural setting and separating it from Lincoln further to the north.
Despite traces of over 2000 years of historical development within the Character Area, its current character is most strongly influenced by the layout of the former Canwick Park in the 19th century as well as the rectilinear arrangement of fields associated with the enclosure of Canwick Parish in 1787.
The Character Area forms part of Lincoln’s rural hinterland, and provides an undeveloped and wooded backdrop to many southerly views out of the city.
|Character Area Type:
||Early Industrial (1750 to 1845 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: