Sincil Bank North (view detailed map) is an urban, residential Character Area with a grid-iron street pattern of Late Victorian/Edwardian (1868-1918) red brick terraced houses, the majority of them situated at the back of the footway. Most of the current townscape was built over a period of around 50 years from the late 1860s onwards. This gives the Character Area a strong uniformity of form throughout.
Very heavy traffic along Canwick Road creates high levels of noise and pollution in that part of the Character Area and acts as a barrier to movement to the east. There are no road links to the north or south except for those via Canwick Road and there are also limited pedestrian connections. A key characteristic of the area is that it is largely cut-off from the city centre and areas to the south and east. However, pedestrian and road links to High Street to the west are good.
The earliest housing development in the Character Area which is still visible in the current townscape took place at the southern end of Canwick Road in the 1840s when numbers 119, 123 and 125 were built. This was followed by development on Sincil Bank opposite Monson Street in the 1860s. There are variations in the level and style of detailing on houses, for example plain stone lintels, moulded brickwork and bay windows, although identical and similar versions of these elements are often repeated throughout the Character Area. The houses themselves have a vertical emphasis with narrow fronts and tall windows; however, the repeated form of the terraced house gives a horizontal emphasis to the area accentuated by the continuous line of the eaves and roof ridges.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: