Sherbrooke Character Area (view detailed map) is an area of entirely residential housing lying on the north escarpment between Monks Road to the south, Tower Drive to the north, and Allenby Road to the east. The area consists of three phases of housing dating to the Late Victorian/Edwardian [1869-1919 AD] and the Inter-War [1920-1948 AD] Periods. There is a constant and fairly steep slope falling from north to south throughout the entire Character Area, giving good views along rooftops towards rural areas along, and at the base of, the south escarpment.
Housing in the Character Area fits into three coherent building types, an initial Late Victorian/Edwardian development, a street of Inter-War housing in neo-vernacular style, and subsequent infill of Inter-War housing which appears to incorporate a mixture of the two preceding developments and characteristics of 1930s’ housing.
Traces of early activity in the area are limited, although Monks Road, which forms the southern boundary of the Character Area, was established during the medieval era, and is named after the nearby Priory cell of St. Mary Magdalene which once owned land within the Character Area.Originally held in common, land was probably enclosed during the Early Industrial [1750-1845 AD] Period, and the northern and southern edges of the Character Area follow the orientation of former field boundaries. The northern boundary of the area, which later became Tower Drive, also follows the route of a long footpath of unknown date that originally joined the east of the city with its rural hinterland. The date of the footpath is unclear, and although it was considerably altered in the late 19th century, a right of way along the part of the escarpment may have previously existed for a long time.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Inter-war (1920 to 1945 AD)
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: