Richmond Lakes and Whisby Character Area comprises former flooded gravel pits and open ground to the southwest of Lincoln. The area is largely bounded by the A46, Newark Road and Whisby Road with an additional smaller part lying to the west of Station Road.
There are few elements of the Character Area’s historical development surviving in the current landscape and these include the line of a railway from the Post-Railway Expansion Period [1846 – 1868 AD], former 19th century field and parish boundaries, 18th and 19th century plantations and modern quarries.
The Character Area is dominated by former gravel workings which have been subsequently flooded. They are used for a number of recreational pursuits, namely fishing and sailing, as well as a nature reserve.
There are no roads within the Character Area and as a result the area is quiet, apart from traffic noise which carries from the adjacent A46. There are good footpath links around some lakes, particularly those belonging to Whisby Nature Reserve. There are few buildings within the Character Area, the majority of which are for light industrial use and are functional in appearance.
The Nottingham to Lincoln railway crosses the Character Area roughly west to east, forming an almost impermeable boundary with few crossing points. This was the first railway line into Lincoln, in 1846, and is still in operation.
There is a wide variety of wildlife habitats and vegetation including wetland, water, grassland and trees, some of which are actively managed.
Views within the Character Area are often limited by vegetation, although there are good views over ponds and lakes including prospects of the Cathedral to the northeast.
|Character Area Type:
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: