Outer Circle Industrial Character Area (view detailed map) is a mixed-use area on the eastern fringe of the city, accessed from Wragby Road, Greetwell Road and Monks Road, which are major east-west arterial roads into and out of the city. Retail units are primarily aligned along Outer Circle Road while commercial and industrial buildings are situated off Bishop’s Road/Dean’s Road and on the Allenby Industrial Estate. A residential development is under construction in 2009 and differs from the rest of the area in many ways.
From several places in the Character Area there are glimpses of the Cathedral Spires but rural views are more common, both over rural agricultural land to the east and over the South Escarpment to the south, emphasising the fringe location of the Character Area.
The orientations of both Wragby Road and Greetwell Road have their origins in the Roman period, and are the earliest surviving features in the current townscape. Extensive Post-war and Modern industrial development has over-written much of the former rural character of the area, although some traces of field boundaries and areas of former extraction have been retained in the townscape. Much of the area was redeveloped from former ironstone quarrying to industrial use during the second half of the 20th century. Ongoing redevelopment of industrial areas in the south of the Character Area for residential housing demonstrates a second phase of regeneration in the area. The contrast of industrial and residential uses illustrates a successive stage of Lincoln’s growth as the city expands towards its rural fringe.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: