Orchard Street Character Area (view detailed map) is situated directly to the west of the city centre, on the lower slope of the north escarpment. It is dominated by civic and public buildings such as the City Council, County Council, Police Station and Job Centre, and more recently student accommodation. Services are based within large-scale buildings that were constructed during the Modern Period.
Despite the comprehensive redevelopment of the area during the latter part of the 20th century, the townscape retains much of its earlier structure, including standing remains of the walls and gate of the lower Roman city, and a High Medieval pattern of streets. Later elements include the city’s first recreation area, as well as remnants of industrial expansion.
Orchard Street Character Area is dominated by large-scale buildings dating to the Modern Period. Despite the comprehensive redevelopment of the area during the latter part of the 20th century, the townscape retains much of its earlier structure, notably from the Roman Colonia [920-410 AD] and High Medieval [850-1350 AD] Eras.
The Character Area straddles the western defensive wall and rampart of the lower Roman city, which was originally laid out during the Roman Colonia Era. The line of the defences follows the current line of Motherby Hill and The Park, including the footpath connecting City Hall with Newland. In addition to standing remains of the Roman walls to the north and south, the lower Roman west gate to the city also survives beneath City Hall.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
Select a video below or download the related MP3
|Character Area Type:
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: