The majority of North Lincoln Ribbon Development Character Area (view detailed map) is composed of residential development built for the middle classes during the Inter-War Period. Nonetheless, housing in the area illustrates nearly a full spectrum of the construction of housing along some of Lincoln’s major roads from the Late Victorian/Edwardian Period to the modern day.
The backbone of the Character Area is formed by the four main radial roads in the north of Lincoln, alongside connecting roads which form a circular route around the settlement’s historic core. The radial roads, which emanate from the historic core of the city, have connected Lincoln with its hinterland since the Roman Military Era.
Land within the Character Area may have been cultivated, if not grazed, from the Prehistoric Era [10,000 BC-90 AD] although no evidence of early field boundaries has yet been found. During the Roman Military [60-90 AD] and Roman Colonia [90-410 AD] Eras the area may have been part of the Roman ‘territorium’, an area of land surrounding major Roman fortresses in which the agricultural production and services were dedicated to the service of the legion rather than the local population. It is likely that the modern Wragby, Nettleham and Riseholme Roads, which radiate from the historic core of the City, were first established during the Roman Military Era.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Inter-war (1920 to 1945 AD)
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: