Newland Character Area (view detailed map) is located on low-lying land between the base of the north escarpment to the north and the Brayford waterfront to the south. The townscape in the area is highly varied, reflecting a complex historical development since the Roman Eras. The area includes Newland itself as well as land either side of the road.
Newland continues to serve as a busy road in the west of the city centre. Linked to major relief roads to the east and west, the role of the road has increasingly become that of a thoroughfare rather than a gateway to the city. Several buildings have converted rear yards for car parking, shifting their main entrances to the rear. In addition a number of buildings on the Brayford have their rear exits out onto Newland, leading to a sense of inactivity at odds with the role of Newland as an historic gateway. The blocking-out of windows either through internal screening or the boarding-up of vacant premises exacerbates the issue and contributes to the poor use of some pathways.
The Character Area straddles the western defensive wall and rampart of the lower Roman city, which was originally laid out during the Roman Colonia Era, and extended south to the banks of the Brayford in the High Medieval [850-1350 AD]Era. The former Roman defences follow the line of The Park, which runs north from the eastern side of 25 Newland. Land within the west of the Character Area, outside of the city walls, is likely to have been part of the city’s territorium, a swathe of land around a Roman city in which agricultural production and services were dedicated to the service of the legion.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
Select a video below or download the related MP3
|Character Area Type:
||Early Industrial (1750 to 1845 AD)
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: