Newark Road Character Area (view detailed map) mainly consists of a high density of residential housing located either side of Newark Road, which forms a spine running north/south through the centre of the Character Area. Dispersed groups of shops, as well as an area of light industry, are also located along the main road.
Buildings within the area form part of a Late Victorian/Edwardian residential suburb, the backbone of which consists of more commercial properties along Newark Road. In part, the area is a linear extension of central Lincoln, which, at its most southern limit, has absorbed parts of the once outlying village of Bracebridge. Housing lying to the rear of properties fronting Newark Road represents the consolidation of linear development along the road during the Late Victorian/Edwardian and ensuing Inter-War, Post-War, and Modern Periods.
Newark Road broadly follows the route of the ‘Fosse Way’, a Roman road that provided the main southerly access route into the Roman Colonia. The road, which was re-established during the medieval era, runs broadly parallel to the River Witham, the banks of which have been successively altered since the medieval era if not before. Much of the land remained as open farmland until the Late Victorian/Edwardian Period, when most of the housing in the area was constructed. Some remnants of the former landscape survive in the current townscape, such as the alignment of field boundaries. During the 20th century, remaining open space in the Character Area, as well as some industrial sites, were redeveloped primarily for housing.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: