Lindum Hill Character Area (view detailed map) is situated on the steepest part of the north escarpment on the eastern side of the city centre and contains properties that are used for a mixture of residential, civic and service functions. Lindum Road, a busy inner-city bypass, forms much of the eastern boundary of the area and defines the transition between the city centre to the west and more residential areas to the east. The mixture of uses as well as the road’s role as the north/south inner-city bypass lead to high volumes of traffic and pedestrian footfall, giving the area a strong sense of vitality.
A large proportion of the Character Area consists of open space, the majority of which is within the public Temple Gardens. Remaining open space in the area consists of mature garden plots to the rear of houses in the northern half of the area.
The Character Area straddles the former north/south line of the defensive walls around the lower Roman city, which were laid out and later consolidated in stone during the Roman Colonia Era [90-410 AD]. Earthworks associated with the former defensive ditch alongside a small section of wall survive in the east part of Temple Gardens. The lower part of Lindum Road runs on top of the now infilled defensive ditch. It is possible that the lower section of the road has its origins in the Roman Colonia era, connecting the east gates of the upper and lower cities, although the east gate to the lower city has yet to be found. The line of Monks Road, which forms the southern boundary of the area, may also follow the line of a former Roman road. Lincoln’s role as one of only a handful of colonias in England is remembered in the name of Lindum Road, which takes its name from the city’s Roman name ‘Lindum’.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
Select a video below or download the related MP3
|Character Area Type:
||Early Industrial (1750 to 1845 AD)
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: