The boundaries of Lincoln College Character Area (view detailed map) are formed by Lindum Road to the north and west, St. Clement’s passage to the east and Monks Road to the south. The area includes Abbey Street, Cathedral Street, the south side of Lindum Road and the north side of Monks Road.
The townscape of Lincoln College Character Area dates from the Victorian Period to the current day with some earlier Roman and medieval elements surviving in the street layout. Heavy traffic along Broadgate-Lindum Road and Monks Road means that the area is bounded on three sides by busy roads which are a barrier to movement to and from the city centre. The site has seen educational use from the Victorian Period and the entire site now forms the campus of Lincoln College. These buildings have large footprints and are in a variety of architectural styles although unity comes from the repeated use of red brick and large windows.
The current townscape of the Lincoln College Character Area has developed over 2000 years. The street layout is mainly based on surviving medieval and Victorian street alignments, although a section of Monks Road, south of the current college, is aligned on the Roman road that gave access to the east from a gate in the Roman defences of the city. The Roman Era is also recalled in the current townscape by the name of Lindum Road which reflects the Roman name for Lincoln - Lindum Colonia. The street layout was, and still is, influenced by the topography, with the steep hill rising towards the north, as well as its proximity to the former walled Roman and medieval city and the changing extent of the eastern suburb of Lincoln throughout its history.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
Select a video below or download the related MP3
|Character Area Type:
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: