Hykeham Road West Residential Character Area (view detailed map) is a small suburban area lying approximately 5km south of Lincoln city centre, and is composed of two small/medium residential developments dating to the Post-war [1946-1966 AD] period and St. Christopher’s School. Many aspects of the townscape are strongly coherent across the whole Character Area.
Residential development has overwritten much of the former rural landscape, however some traces of earlier activity remain evident such as Newark Road, which marks the approximate route of the Roman ‘Fosseway’ and the route of Hykeham Road, which originates from the High Medieval period. Street names such as Gregg Hall Drive are associated with farms created during the Early Industrial period and the alignment of some field boundaries associated with the enclosure of land also survive in the current townscape. In the years following the Second World War residential housing developments were constructed in the area.
From as early as the High Medieval period [850-1350 AD] Hykeham Road, which runs north/south along part of the eastern edge off the area, carried traffic from outlying medieval villages to Newark Road in the south of the city. The road runs broadly parallel to the River Witham, and was probably originally located on slightly higher ground which was less prone to flooding from the River Witham further east.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: