Hospital and Prison Character Area (view detailed map) is dominated by two public services with large uptakes of land, Lincolnshire County Hospital and Lincoln Prison. A number of residential developments have been built in infill locations around these two main uses. The area is located on the eastern side of the city, either side of the busy Greetwell Road, in what was once a fringe location but is now within the built up area of the city.
The expansive developments of the Prison and Hospital complexes have over-written much of the former rural character of the area, although some traces of field boundaries and areas of former extraction have been retained in the townscape. Both Hospital and Prison have undergone successive stages of alteration and extension, creating a complex and telling story of the provision of services to Lincoln’s growing population since the late 19th century. Many of the original buildings survive at the centre of the expanded complexes, providing a full cross section of their history since foundation.
Hospital and Prison Character Area is located in the east of the city on a site which, up until the early 20th century, was formerly within the city’s agricultural hinterland. Subsequent industrial and residential expansion of Lincoln during the 20th century has enveloped the two sites, more fully integrating them within the city’s fabric. Correspondingly both the Hospital and Prison have undergone considerable expansion as demand for their services increased, resulting in a high density and complex townscape which has overwritten much of the area’s former rural character.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: