Hillside Character Area (view detailed map) is a small residential suburban area dating to the Post-War Period [1946-1966 AD] located on the north escarpment, between Monks Road to the south and a footpath to the north, overlooking the Witham Valley. The style and form of properties is highly coherent throughout the majority of the Character Area.
Construction of housing during the Post-War Period has left few traces of the area’s past, although the orientation of field boundaries associated with the enclosure of land, probably during the Early Industrial Period, are retained in a number of places. In addition, the boundaries of former ironstone extraction sites are partially retained in the north of the Character Area. Long-established routes leading in and out of the city, including a footpath of unknown date and the medieval course of Monks Road, define the northern and southern boundaries of the Character Area respectively.
From as early as the Roman Colonia Era [90-410 AD], if not before, the north escarpment has been an important area for the extraction of natural materials including clay, building stone and Northamptonshire Ironstone. Quarrying of materials in the Character Area continued into the Late Victorian/Edwardian Period [1869-1919 AD], mainly in the form of ironstone pits. The southern boundaries of several small private compounds to the rear of numbers 1-5 and 17-27 Hillside Avenue mark the southern edge of some of the 19th century ironstone quarries, which ran east/west along the northern boundary of the Character Area.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: