The majority of the current townscape of the Ermine West Character Area (view detailed map) dates from the building of the Ermine West Estate by the City of Lincoln Council in the Post-War Period [1946-1966 AD]. The area is residential with some small shops, two churches and a community centre. The housing is generally on a domestic scale consisting of many two-storey semi-detached houses and rows of houses. However, there are also three-storey apartment blocks along the northern edge of the estate and one tower block, Trent View. The buildings are mainly of red/brown or yellow brick with little or no decorative detailing and brown concrete tile roofs. There are distinctive patterns of projecting brick on some apartment blocks and many buildings have curved concrete hoods over the doors in a ‘modern’ style. Some hoods with thin metal supports are also found in other local authority housing in Lincoln.
Ermine West Estate has large grassed areas throughout including some ‘village greens’ with mature trees and housing around the edges, as well as many wide verges along the streets, probably originally intended to improve visibility for drivers. There is a mix of large and small blocks of housing. This fact, combined with some long curved streets, the large numbers of cul-de-sacs and a lack of landmark buildings, makes it difficult to move around the Character Area. Most residential streets are overlooked by doors and windows.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: