The Drury Lane Character Area (view detailed map) is situated along the edge of the north escarpment, directly south of the Castle and west of Steep Hill. The area consists mainly of large detached and semi-detached properties that have been developed, added to, and redeveloped over an extended period of time along Carline Road, Drury Lane and Spring Hill. These include two particularly large buildings, Hilton House on the corner of Union Road with its associated lodge house, and Chad Varah house on the corner of Wordsworth Street which was originally the County Infimary and is now occupied by the University of Lincoln.
The main land use in the Character Area is residential, with the exception of a few properties along Spring Hill that have been converted to office accommodation, and Chad Varah House which is now used for educational purposes. The Castle's southern wall forms the rear boundary of many of the properties along the northern side of Drury Lane, making this a key feature of the area. On the southern side of Carline Road, Drury Lane and Spring Hill, the properties are situated on the slope of the escarpment. These properties have wide, uninterrupted views over the lower city and many of them have been designed to make the best possible use of this elevated position.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
Select a video below or download the related MP3
|Character Area Type:
||Early Industrial (1750 to 1845 AD)
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: