Canwick and Bracebridge Enclosed Heath Character Area is an expansive rural area located 4km south of the city of Lincoln. It occupies gently undulating land on top of the south escarpment.
The majority of the area comprises arable agricultural land divided into a regular pattern of large rectangular fields which have survived from the time of enclosure during the Early Industrial Period [1750-1845 AD]. Field boundaries are usually hedged or fenced. In addition to the arable fields, there is one area of woodland that provides a habitat for a range of wildlife.
Buildings within the Character Area include a dispersed number of farmsteads established alongside or shortly after the area had been enclosed.
A number of roads traverse the Character Area, including the A15 and A607 which are two major routes into the south of Lincoln. Main roads also connect the area with villages to the east and there are a number of interconnecting lanes and roads. There are few footpath links across the area though there are many farm tracks.
Lying between the villages of Canwick, Branston, Waddington and Bracebridge Heath, the area is part of Lincoln’s rural hinterland and setting. At the city boundary, the area joins with the open space of South Common, and forms part of an open and undeveloped fringe around the south of Lincoln. Views to the north include Lincoln Cathedral which is a landmark building seen from all parts of the area.
|Character Area Type:
||Early Industrial (1750 to 1845 AD)
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: