Burton Road Character Area (view detailed map) is composed of Late Victorian/Edwardian terraced houses interspersed with later Post-War and Modern infill and redevelopment. The area is mainly residential is use, with a dispersed number of civic and commercial properties. Burton Road forms the backbone of the area, and buildings along its length illustrate the development of Lincoln from the 18th to the 21st century. The layout of southern parts of the townscape is strongly influenced by the former Roman and Medieval walled cities.
The Character Area lies on top of the limestone ridge to the north west of the former Roman and Medieval walled cities. Much of the Character Area remained as open agricultural land up until the Late Victorian/Edwardian Periods; however, its proximity to the city centre has strongly influenced its development since the Roman Military Era [60-90 AD]. Elements of its former open agricultural character are preserved within a built townscape that illustrates Lincoln’s expansion and redevelopment during the 19th and 20th centuries.
Much of the townscape is divided into small urban blocks defined by two poorly interconnected grid-iron patterns of streets of terraced houses. Main roads carry large volumes of vehicular traffic, and properties add to a feeling of activity, with doors and windows facing the street. A high density of buildings throughout the area creates a strong and regular sense of enclosure along narrow streets which decreases along wider roads. Properties are regular in form and scale and consist of rows of terraced houses, with dispersed groups of individual detached and semi-detached buildings.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: