Bunkers Hill Character Area (view detailed map) is a large suburban area lying approximately 3km to the north east of Lincoln city centre, and includes Modern [1968-2009 AD] residential housing and a retail centre. The character of the townscape illustrates approaches towards the construction of large residential developments in the early 21st century.
Housing developments have overwritten former agricultural land within the north-eastern fringes of the city, and few historic features remain observable in the current townscape. The western boundary of the Character Area broadly follows the former boundary between Greetwell Parish and the city, which may date to the Early Modern Era [1350-1750 AD]. A number of streets in the area follow the orientation of some former field boundaries associated with the area’s enclosure by Act of Parliament. The Lincolnshire Poacher Public House on Wragby Road was formerly a farmhouse built around the time of parliamentary enclosure.
Land within the Character Area may have been cultivated, if not grazed, from the Prehistoric Era [10,000 BC-90 AD]. Although no visible evidence of early field boundaries currently exists, the remains of a triple ditch run, which may have demarked political boundary or been used to contain livestock, runs through the area. During the Roman Military [60-90 AD] and Roman Colonia [90-410 AD] Eras the area may have been part of the Roman ‘territorium’, an area of land surrounding major Roman fortresses in which agricultural production and services were dedicated to the service of the legion rather than the local population. The northern boundary of the Character Area is formed by the rear plots of properties along Wragby Road, a route which was first established during the Roman Military Era.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.