Brant Road

Overview

Brant Road Character Area (view detailed map) is a large suburban area lying in the Witham Valley at the base of the limestone escarpment either side of Brant Road approximately 4km to the south of Lincoln City Centre. The area, now amalgamated within the City of Lincoln, was once within the parish of Bracebridge lying to the south of the city limits.

Much of the land within the Character Area remained open until it was developed for housing during the Modern period. The alignment of some field boundaries associated with the area’s enclosure during the Early Modern period are retained within the layout of the townscape. In addition, former field boundaries and a single house survive from a former 19th century Chartist colony located in the south of the Character Area.

Housing consists of a series of residential developments, composed of one or a number of build units, constructed during the Modern [1967-2008 AD] period. Each residential build unit has an identifiable and largely consistent architectural style. Properties within each development are built around a series of unconnected cul-de-sacs and closes, which are arranged in varying patterns. Houses turn their backs on adjacent areas and roads, and face in towards the interior of development units, leading in inactive fronts or backs of properties being exposed, leading to a lower sense of security.

To find out more, search the menu to the left.

Repeated pattern of houses with red tiled facades flanked by shallow projecting brick piers

Key Statistics

Latitude/Longitude: (53.1932, -0.55469)
Character Area Type: Residential
Location: City fringe
Predominant Period: Modern (1967 to Current day)
Secondary Period: Mixed
Average Building Type: Attached buildings
Average Building Density: Medium