Bracebridge

Overview

Bracebridge Character Area (view detailed map) lies to the south of Lincoln, at the bridging point of Newark Road and the River Witham. The area, now amalgamated within the City of Lincoln, was once the location of an outlying village within the parish of Bracebridge.

A few elements of the outlying village Bracebridge survive, including the 11th century All Saints Church, the Late Victorian/Edwardian Brantley Manor and Grosvenor Hall, and elements of parkland associated with the latter. However, much of the original village and its surrounds have been overwritten by series of residential developments constructed as Lincoln expanded south during the mid to latter part of the 20th century.

 Bracebridge is made up of a small number of public housing developments constructed during the Inter-War Period, alongside some smaller infill development dating to the Post-War and Modern Periods. Each residential housing development has an identifiable and consistent architectural style.

The Character Area is composed of medium to large irregularly shaped urban blocks, the size and shape of which result from a lack of connectivity between developments and roads, as well as strong linear features along the eastern and western edges of the area. The majority of housing is built along cul-de-sacs.

 To find out more,  search the menu on the left.
Rows of yellow brick apartment blocks along Laurel Close in the north of the Character Area

Key Statistics

Latitude/Longitude: (53.20055, -0.55104)
Character Area Type: Residential
Location: Outer suburbs
Predominant Period: Inter-war (1920 to 1945 AD)
Secondary Period: Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
Average Building Type: Terraced
Average Building Density: Medium