Bracebridge Heath Centre and Linear Development Character Area lies at the top of the south escarpment overlooking Lincoln to the north and the Witham valley to the west. The area is centred on the junction of the Sleaford/London Road and Grantham Road. It developed as a village primarily serving a former mental hospital, which survives in the east of the area. The area is mainly residential, except for a small commercial and civic ‘High Street’ along Grantham Road.
The routes of two Roman roads cross the Character Area, the orientations of which survive in the layout of the major roads as well as the plots of some houses. The construction of St. John’s Hospital in 1852 was the catalyst for the initial development of the village. Since the founding of the asylum, which closed in 1990, the village of Bracebridge Heath has grown considerably, initially along major roads within the Character Area, and later in the form of large residential estates to the east and west.
Apart from the small civic and commercial centre, the Character Area is predominantly made up of residential properties dating from the Late Victorian/Edwardian [1869-1919 AD] and Inter-War [1920-1945 AD] periods.
At the centre of the Character Area the unoccupied asylum is a landmark building, providing a strong sense of identity to the area and Bracebridge village as a whole. Many views and glimpses within the Character Area include the hospital or its associated features. There are also good views out of the Character Area from Canwick Avenue and London Road, with views out to Lincoln and over the Witham valley respectively.
|Character Area Type:
||Late Victorian/Edwardian (1869 to 1919 AD)
||Inter-war (1920 to 1945 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: