Boultham Moor Industrial Character Area (view detailed map) is a mixed-use retail, commercial and light-industrial area located to the south of the city centre off Tritton Road, one of the arterial roads into and out of the city. The area has strong, largely impermeable boundaries to the north, east and west, and access to the area is confined to minor roads off Tritton Road. As such, permeability to surrounding areas is limited.
Recent industrial development has overwritten much of the former rural and Early Industrial landscape but some traces of earlier activity remain evident such as the High Medieval route of Skellingthorpe Road and a field boundary along the southern boundary of the Character Area associated with 18th/19th-century enclosure. Ballast pits quarried alongside the railway line (opened in 1846) once occupied much of the southern half of the area with the lake in the centre being the earliest pit to be dug. Industry began to develop in the late Post-War Period and into the Modern Period.
Much of the Character Area is composed of open space. There are extensive areas of car parking for the retail units and large, open yards within several of the industrial units. Starmer’s Pit Lake and Boultham Moor Wood to the east form a large piece of green space within the Character Area. There are also many deep planted and grassed verges, and areas of planting within car parking which, combined with the wooded edge along Tritton Road, result in a green environment overall.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
||Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: