Birchwood Estate

Overview

Birchwood Estate Character Area (view detailed map) is a large ‘self-contained’ public housing development dating from between 1960 and 1980, with associated community centre and green space. It is located approximately 4km southwest of Lincoln city centre. Constructed in six phases (Birchwood 1-5 and a former RAF housing estate) over a short period of time, the varying development units making up the Character Area illustrate changing approaches towards the construction of large public housing estates in the latter part of the 20th century.

The public housing developments have overwritten much of the former landscape, however the townscape contains many traces of its rural and military past, including the lines of field boundaries associated with the 18/19th century enclosure of land, boundaries of two probable 19th century woodland plantations, and the remains of a taxiway associated with a WWII heavy bomber airfield.

Residential housing is laid out around straight and curvilinear streets, cul-de-sacs and closes, and consists with short rows of between 4 and 10 dwellings, and a small number of semi-detached houses. Buildings are mostly 2-storeys in height and are 2/3 bays in width, with the exception of 3 storey apartment blocks, which are 6-10 bays in width and are mainly located along the edges of housing developments bordering open space.
 

To find out more, search the menu on the left.

Two rows of Semi detached houses facing each other between Cosford and Andover Close with access only via communal pathway in between the two rows.

Key Statistics

Latitude/Longitude: (53.21757, -0.60477)
Character Area Type: Residential
Location: City fringe
Predominant Period: Post-war (1946 to 1966 AD)
Secondary Period: Modern (1967 to Current day)
Average Building Type: Terraced
Average Building Density: Medium